Welcome to Speech and Language!
Dear Parents and Community Members,
Speech and Language Services are provided at Scotland Elementary School for grades Pre-K to 6. Services are provided in the areas of speech, language, fluency, and voice usage. Students are identified for services under regular education and special education through a team process. Parent participation during therapy sessions is encouraged. Homework is periodically assigned, with parent support, to practice and reinforce skills being taught.
As an ASHA certified and CT State licensed Speech and Language Pathologist, I have been fortunate to have acquired years of valuable experience in working with various organizations, in a variety of settings (e.g., Birth –To – Three Program, United Cerebral Palsy, Easter Seal Rehabilitation Center, Southeastern Speech and Hearing Center, elementary, middle, and high school settings, and the CT Dept of Mental Retardation). Since 1998, I have enjoyed working at Scotland Elementary School. I have also worked as your Special Education Coordinator since 2007.
Parents often ask questions regarding their child’s speech and language development. Here is a list of several websites to help you understand communication and communication disorders.
- The American Speech and Hearing Association [ASHA] has a public information section: www.asha.org
- The following medical website provides speech and language development information under ‘Children’s Health’: www.webmd.com
- Connecticut’s Birth-To-Three System has a website, which provides information about referrals and eligibility, as well as contact information for area providers: www.birth23.org
- The Stuttering Foundation of America has a website that offers parents information on how to help a child who evidences dysfluencies in their speech: www.StutteringHelp.org
- CT’s State Department of Education’s website offers information on the latest news in education, including information on the Common Core State Standards and student assessment: www.sde.ct.gov
If you wish to contact me, I can be reached by phone or e-mail.
All Children Can Learn!