SCOTLAND BOARD OF EDUCATION
Citizens Advisory Committee
Tuesday February 4, 2020
Scotland Elementary School Library
- Call to order: The meeting was called to order by BOE chair Brynn Lipstreu. Present were also Selene Sullivan, Brandy Blish, and Wendy Sears (via telephone), with Lisa LaBelle unable to attend.
- Election of chairperson: Discussions were held and it was unanimously decided that the Chairperson position would be changed to a Co-chair position. Selene Sullivan and Wendy Sears were unanimously elected to hold these two seats. Wendy offered to take meeting minutes until such time as another member would be willing to take over this duty.
- Review charge of committee: “…help the Board, with an outside perspective, create a more welcoming atmosphere at Scotland Elementary School “
- Discussion of ideas to create a more welcoming atmosphere at Scotland Elementary School: Should we recommend an open door policy? Willington does a fair and has reading nights. Griswold was discussed.
The committee would like to consider how other schools accomplish a welcoming environment and share information at our next meeting.
We decided to consider survey questions that we would like to ask, who we would like to ask those questions of (community, parents, staff etc.), how we can get our surveys distributed (where), and formats we can use to accomplish our survey distribution (paper and/or digital platform).
We questioned: what it is that we are looking to do? Some thoughts were hosting events, getting parents involved in school days or events (welcoming them more during the school day). Encouraging classroom parents/volunteers who would help to set up for the classroom fun days/parties, organize/delegate help for activities among other things. We can encourage our retired folks in the community to act as classroom helpers, reading helpers or engage with kids, aid teachers in other ways. Open the school more to the community.
Question was asked, what if the survey comes back indicating that there is no need to change what is being done and folks believe the school is already welcoming enough? Can we adjust the charge to another topic? Can we add a survey question asking folks what they would like to see the Citizens Advisory Committee focus attention on? This question could be helpful in the short term or to determine a potential next charge for the committee.
- Homework assignments: 1) Add open discussion to next agenda
2) Consider survey questions (where to look/share links)
- a) naeyc
- b) State DOE
- c) other sources?
3) Request Scotlandes.org email address for the committee to have access to collectively
- Set next meeting date: Tentatively scheduled for March 3, 2020 at 6 pm in the SES library.
- Adjourn: Wendy motioned to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Selene. Meeting adjourned at approximately 6:45 pm.